Our history begins around 1883, when Mrs. Mary King Troupe and Miss Louise Nightingale from nearby St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Brunswick started a Sunday School
at their church for the colored people of the city. The classes grew, and in 1885, St. Athanasius’ Episcopal Church became
an organized mission of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church. The new church was named after the African saint, Athanasius of Alexandria, the 20th Bishop of Alexandria, Egypt, from 328 to 373.